Get the kids out about during the holidays or after school. There’s a wealth of activities for kids & teenagers throughout Vasse and the South West. Here’s a few of our favourites that are close to Vasse.
Activities For Youth – All Ages
Busselton Skate Park (FREE)
The award winning Busselton skate park offers a host of challenges, including one of the largest and deepest bowls in Western Australia.
- Skate Bowls: At 18m long, 10m wide and 3m deep, the massive bowl is popular for major skate competitions. Those still learning to skate / BMX can use the smaller bowl, which is 1.2m deep.
- Street Skate: The park also has close to 90 meters and four interconnected areas of free-flow street skating space. These range in difficulty to allow progression from beginner to advanced rider. These areas include elements like kerbing, parking block ledges, skate rails and a smaller quarter pipe.
- Recreational Facilities: The area offers 2000m2 of recreational space geared for young people. This includes seating, water fountains, green space, free bbq facilities and lighting, to allow night skating. Public toilets are located close by at the Youth and Community Activity Building, as well as public lockers to store personal items.
- Location: 17 Foreshore Parade, Busselton WA 6280.
Mountain Bike Trails (MOSTLY FREE)
The South West has some of the State’s best and biggest range of mountain bike trails for all ages and experience levels.
- Maps: Check out Trail Forks to view a map of all the trails in Dunsborough and Margaret River.
- Dunsborough Country Club Course: Ride this 10km cross-country mountain biking course around the 60 hectare golf course property. Built at the Dunsborough & Districts Country Club, the trails and Dunsborough MTB Skills Development Park help novice to experienced riders develop their mountain biking skills and fitness. It includes 95% twisting single track and 5% open fire access roads. A $5 MTB user fee lets you explore the trails for up to 5 days or you can join the Country Club for $120/year and ride as much as you want.
- Margaret River MTB Trails: Margaret River Offroad Assocation (MRORCA) has done an incredible job in building and maintaining some world class MTB trails for all ages. View trails and information here for:
Visit the longest jetty in the Southern Hemisphere and second longest in the world! Spanning over 1.8kms long, the Jetty also houses a stunning Underwater Observatory. It’s one of only six in the world! Here you descend 8 metres below sea level to view more than 300 different species of brightly coloured tropical and sub-tropical corals and fish.
Jumping off the jetty is very popular with the kids, and don’t forget to pack a snorkel and flippers.
For competent snorkellers and divers, 13 amazing Underwater Sculptures have recently been added on the seabed to enhance the marine life.
Did you know that over 100 limestone caves lie beneath the Leeuwin-Naturaliste Ridge? That’s why it’s called Caves Road!
Ngilgi Cave is a nearby self-guided cave that you can explore at your own pace. The cave itself has the famous Tunnel of Doom, which kids can crawl through over and over again.
- Open 9am-5pm each day at 79 Yallingup Caves Rd, Yallingup.
Walk / Ride To The Beach (FREE)
Vasse now has a 1.6km direct pathway to the stunning Abbey Beach. Here you can swim, snorkel, stand up paddle, kayak or just relax on the beach.
For over 50,000 years, the Wadandi and Bibbulman people of Busselton, Dunsborough and Margaret River have walked this stunning, ancient land. Why not enhance your kids appreciation of the local Wadandi country with a Koomal Dreaming experience. Josh “Koomal” Whiteland provides an authentic opportunity to hear didgeridoo playing, see traditional fire-lighting, taste native foods, discover bush medicine and meet the animals, plants and Dreaming spirits that have enriched the lives of Wadandi people since time began. His knowledge of the environment is incredible and fascinating. Check out their school holiday program here.
We’re blessed with one of the most surf rich places on the planet. Being up near Cape Naturaliste, we also have the advantage of being able to find quality surf in nearly all wind directions.
- Lessons: If you’re not confident (or patient) enough to get your kids in the surf, why not try a few surf lessons or the Surf Groms program with Yallingup Surf School.
- Surf Breaks: Well, there’s far too many surf breaks in our incredible South West region to list here. But popular ones for kids and younger teenagers are
- The Farm and Point Piquet in Dunsborough or Huzzas at Cowaramup Bay (large swells)
- Smiths Beach (medium swells)
- Shallows at Yallingup or Honeycombs Beach (smaller swells).
You can read a more comprehensive surf guide here.
Yallingup Maze and Mini-Golf
A great place to visit all year round, and suprisingly offers as much fun for adults as the kids. There’s a world class 18 hole mini-golf course with hard and easy holes, an everchanging outdoor timber maze that definitely isn’t easy, nature play areas, an indoor puzzle café where you can play with puzzles for free all day and heaps of other fascinating things to do. Yallingup Maze is located at 3059 Caves Road, Yallingup.
High Ropes / Zip Line
Not for the faint hearted, this adds plenty of excitement to appreciating the beautiful trees of the South West.
- Next Level Monkey Business is a high ropes course filled with ziplines, climbing courses and sky-high challenges, located off Caves Road, between Dunsborough and Yallingup: Bannamah Wildlife Park, 1710 Caves Rd, Dunsborough WA 6281
- Forest Adventures offers six progressive high ropes adventures, set high among the majestic trees of the Ludlow Tuart Forest, just a 20-minute drive from Vasse. Each gets more challenging than the last, so we don’t advice you start on number 5 or 6! Located at 12 Ludlow Park Road, Ludlow, WA, 6280.
WA has a lot of wind so why not make the most of it.
- Learn to sail courses, including some all girl sailing courses, are offered by Adventure Sailing on the beautiful Geographe Bay.
- Weekend sailing races and training is offered by Dunsborough Bay Yacht Club.
- Learn to sail programs for kids aged 7-12 are offered by Dunsborough Bay Yacht Club.
Fun / Theme Parks
- Aquatastic is a much loved, inflatable water park near Busselton Jetty that operates in summer school holidays only.
- Xcape has water slides, a water play park, trampolines, mini-golf, climbing walls, train and a game zone. It’s on the corner of Caves Road & Quindalup Siding Road, Dunsborough.
- Wow Illusions is a new attraction in the South West and certainly a very different one! Here you’ll find incredible 3D art, a mirror maze, life size pin art, a gravity defying room, the world’s wackiest toilet plus plenty more. It’s located at 219 Harmans Mill Road, Metricup.
- Gravity Etc has 1800 sqm of trampoline floor area, with 7 different activity zones, plus a parent retreat, café, lift, and free soft play area for kids under 3yrs. It’s located at 43 Norton Promenade, Dalyellup, south of Bunbury.
There’s a few horse riding options in the South West and some beautiful bush trail rides to explore and enjoy.
- The Humble Horse / Outback Horse Trails in Metricup offers horse riding lessons and bush trail rides in a variety of locations in the South West.
Arts & Craft
The South West is a creative hub and has plenty of local arts and crafts in each town.
- This summer, Origin Markets Busselton are hosting half hour bracelet making workshops every Friday at 11am and 11.30am from 29 Dec 2023 to 26 Jan 2024. The location is 86 West St, Busselton.
Activities For Teenagers
Youth Space (FREE)
The Youth Space provides FREE supervised activities and games for youth aged 12-24. The space is designed for young people to upskill, engage, socialise, and receive positive mentoring.
- School Holiday Opening Hours: 1PM to 5PM every Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and Saturday. 3PM to 6PM every Friday.
- School Term Opening Hours: Wednesday 3.30pm to 5.00pm, Thursday 3.30pm to 6.00pm, Friday 4.00pm to 7.00pm, Saturday 1.00 pm to 5.00pm.
- Transport from Vasse: The Route 816 bus that drives along Napoleon Promenade and Mackerel Ave connects Vasse to the centre of Busselton, making transport a breeze for your teens!
- Location: The Youth Space is at the Youth & Community Activities Building (YCAB) on the Busselton Foreshore, next to the Busselton Skate Park – 17 Foreshore Parade, Busselton WA 6280.
Vasse Exercise Stations (FREE)
Gyms are popular with the teenagers, but Vasse has six outdoor exercise stations that are FREE and available to use any time you like. They’re designed by fitness guru Matthew Fuller and can be found along the Wadandi Track, between Vasse Village and Vasse Business Park. These also 5 measured exercise circuits ranging from 1.25km to 7.5km.
Get your kids on the water when it’s windy! The South West Junior Windsurf School is a community of water loving families who get together once a week between Nov and March to learn and progress in windsurfing all together.
The school provides all the windsurf gear and instructors, and it’s held at a mobile time and place each weekend depending on forecasts (often Dunsborough Bay or Augusta). A parent/carer must be present during all sessions as it’s all run by volunteers, but parents also have the opportunity to learn themselves. The school is best suited to kids aged 10 and above.
If you just want a paid private/group lesson for any age, the school has plenty of qualified instructors who can help.
Abseiling & Rock Climbing
The Margaret River Climbing Co will have you climbing and abseiling on the spectacular Wilyabrup sea cliffs like a pro. This suits adventurous, mature kids over 10 with reasonable fitness. Kids must be accompanied by an adult, but no experience is necessary.
FREE Activities For Kids (12 & Under)
- Mini-Craft Morning: Hosted by the Busselton Public Library, a FREE Mini Craft Morning starts at 9AM on Thursday, 11 January 2024. No booking is needed and it’s for kids aged 4-12 years. The library is located at Stanley Place, Busselton.
- Lego Club: The FREE Lego Club starts at 10AM on Thursday, 25 January 2024 and is also at the Busselton Public Library. This event is for kids aged 4-12 and no bookings are required. The library is located at Stanley Place, Busselton.
- Nature Play@Vasse: Our stunning nature play park includes climbing forts, a water play station, logs, a swing, free play space, walk and cycle paths, seating spaces and the perfect spot to have a BBQ. We’ve also added a 30m flying fox and a half court basketball court right nearby.
FREE Activities For Babies
At Heritage Park on 18 December 2023, the last Baby Bounce will be happening from 10AM to 11AM. Enjoy the sunshine, meet your local library team, and have fun singing and playing with your baby. Baby Bounce is another free event that requires no booking; it is part of the State Library of WA Better Beginnings programme. It gives your baby a gentle introduction to the world of learning, literacy, and libraries, while having fun along the way.
Regular Baby B0unce activities are run in Dunsborough Public Library on Wed 11am-11.30am and Busselton Public Library on Fri 11am-11.30am.
Free Outdoor Movie at Vasse – Space Jam: A New Legacy
Grab your friends or family, and join us for a FREE movie under the stars at our Nature Read More
South West Activities For Kids & Youth
Get the kids out about during the holidays or after school. There’s a wealth of activities for Read More
Lions Vasse Twilight Markets Grand Opening
The Vasse Lions hosted a successful grand opening night for their new twilight markets on Friday, 1 December. Their Read More